The York Country Club was established in 1919 on a tract of land just west of York. In 1941, with the area having gone through the depression years of the 1930s, most individuals were living off a tight budget. The directors of the Country Club were unable to acquire enough paying members to hire a caretaker, and therefore decided to cease operating the golf course any longer.
Dean Sack had been in the installment loan business for a few years and had acquired a reputation for being successful. The directors came to Sack and offered to give him the 40 acres of ground and the clubhouse if he would take it over and operate it personally. Sack could see the possibilities and accepted the challenge.
The clubhouse had never been finished inside, had no kitchen facilities (no water, even!) and was entirely inadequate. Sack proceeded to install water, bathroom facilities and kitchen and dining room facilities. He hired help to rejuvenate and improve the golf course. The response was excellent. Soon paid memberships began to come in and overall activity increased noticeably, both in golf and social memberships - which originated for those wishing to use the facility for dining and private parties.
Soon after the first year of "start up" success, World War II began and the Fairmont Air Base was built. There was an immediate influx of working people to the area and soon Air Force personnel began moving in. This influx was almost more than the Country Club could handle so it was decided to use the club as an Officer's Club as well as a Country Club. The club did a thriving business in those days, and the income was used to finish the inside of the clubhouse, put in new wiring, plumbing, kitchen and dining room facilities, as well as installing grass greens and a deep-well irrigation system.